Weary in not-well doing

20 April 2011

A few weeks back, a wonderful gentleman who has known me for the better part of my life prayed over our family in church. As he prayed for us (a not unfamiliar task, as it was his prayers - together with God's call - that propelled us to overseas work), he asked the Lord that we would "be weary in not-well doing." I'm quite sure he meant "not be weary in well-doing," but, well, you know...

IMG_6724I couldn't help but laugh, as there are more than a few times I have felt weary in not-well doing. Dishes are piling up and it is way past bedtime. Sunday morning finds angry children and exhausted coffee-tumbler-toting parents hunkered down in a minivan. Prayers seemingly go unanswered after late nights of whispers and tears. Coming in third, or thirtieth, or threethousandth in a marathon, or worse yet, collapsing before the finish line.

You get the picture. Who hasn't felt weary in not-well doing?

Reflecting on that dyslexic prayer left me feeling all tied up in knots. I think I secretly wonder if this accidental prayer put a little hoax on me. We know - or really, we'd like to think we know - that God knows the thoughts and the needs behind prayers. Behind the mixed-up names and unspoken requests, He truly knows the soul and longings. (I actually referred to a not-so-new friend by an entirely different name during a lovely and inspired 3-minute verbal dialogue between me and God and in her forgiving presence. You know who you are!) But I think deep down inside my doubting heart, I ponder the ridiculous notion that in hearing those jumbled words, He did indeed grant the prayer: may she be weary in not-well doing.

But what do I really know? I know that He says:
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me." John 14v1
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives..." John 14v27
"Remain in me, and I will remain in you." John 15v4
"Apart from me you can do nothing." John 15v5
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last." John 15v16
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galations 6v9
I think we're lying to ourselves if we don't own that sometimes we do grow weary in not-well doing. But what do we know? That even up to His death, Jesus - who may have grown very weary - did not grow weary in well-doing. Up to the end, He was inspiring us to pursue Him, to rest in Him, to find peace in Him, and to abide with Him. He was comforting us in our very time of need.

I woke up weary in not-well doing this morning. I mean really, super-duper, tears on the pillow weary. And then I spent the morning with Him. He chose me - me! - to go and bear fruit; fruit that will last, well past the expiration date.

So I rested in Him for a good long while, and then got back to work.

2 comments:

  1. weary I know...I appreciated your note, thanks so much for sending it. :) Praying for you to not grow weary of doing good...praying right now. I have faith that God can lift that weariness. May your Easter be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wager is a fool's argument.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS