What I'm Into {September 2013}

30 September 2013


Short, sweet and to the point:

BOOKS

Did you know I'm a secret introvert? My faux-extroverted days are over, so I'm reading Quiet by Susan Cain for pointers, inspiration and commiseration. Also loving my time with the kiddos reading Jesus Calling for Kids. In the queue... Summertime by J.M. Coetzee and The Crimes of Charlotte Bronte by James Tully. Sadly, I had low reading aspirations this month.

TV

Ah! We finished Broadchurch and, just, wow. Fantastic and heartbreaking and haunting. Also? Downton Abbey has returned! Yes, Downton is the last stronghold of the British Empire and the one thing in which America is literally behind. If you're in the US and can't wait till January, Rage Against the Minivan has a way around that for you. :)

MOVIES

I love Netflix. High Fidelity is a long-time favourite, but upon recent viewing, did not anticipate the immense homesickness I felt for Chicago and the late 90s music scene. Also, Prometheus? No, just no. In the queue, 50/50 and State of Play.

MUSIC and/or VIDEOS

Shuffling through the entire Josh Garrels catalog, Arcade Fire's new single Reflektor (and spending too much time watching old videos on youtube... Ready to Start is my current favourite), and - of course - The Fox.



THINGS I LOVE

A Saturday afternoon spent climbing a hill and sitting by the sea
Irish museums and Franciscan artifacts
Windowseats in above-mentioned Irish museums, where one can sit undetected, writing in the shadows
Compassion International, blog month, and reading of lives changed and saved through child sponsorship
The free creative writing course at the local library
Related: new friends
Watching my sister try on and then find her wedding dress via skype... (many thanks to Emily for capturing the above images)
Friday morning date with my man
Pumpkin-flavoured anything (especially lattes)
When I successfully make a meal my children will eat willingly
My new smoky-teal bathroom (colour: dragonfly)
Anticipating Eleanor the First coming for Christmas
The reappearance of the piano wall



BLOGS AND OTHER ONLINE THINGS

In which we can only testify by our absence (guest post by Anne Bogel) / Sarah Bessey
It doesn't take much to make me happy / The Bloggess
In Culture Shift, Evangelical College Lifts Alcohol Ban / The New York Times
Forget Twitter. In St. Louis, Bare Your Soul Via Typewriter / NPR
Writing Off-Brand / Caryn Rivadeneira
Romantigrams / The Urban Romantic
Karen's Hard Question about Compassion Bloggers / Shaun Groves
Louis C.K.'s Explanation of Why He Hates Smartphones Is Sad, Brilliant / Gawker

Come visit me at Twitter or Facebook to discuss other things, links and Lip-Sync battles we love.

ON THE BLOG

most-read :: I come home
personal favourite :: The marriage bed

SCRIPTURE

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I."

Isaiah 58:6-9 [NIV] 

***

What were YOU into this month?

What I'm Into at HopefulLeigh

17 comments:

  1. I loved 50/50. And that clip from Louis C.K. on smartphones has been on my mind since I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for visiting, Addie! I feel the same way about that clip... the whole thing about the emptiness and the God-shaped hole... hilarious and devastating at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Your comments are working! I don't have any Romantigrams for this week, because I didn't take many photos, but I feel like it' OK after watching Louis CK, because that's what I was doing this weekend. Just feeling, not even thinking of taking photos. So much feeling. Love the pictures of you watching Jess trying of dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to hear how sentralized was! when you're down with all the feeling, of course. I totally know what you mean and i often have sensory overload after a conference, even when it's amazing. The pictures above were when the store announced on the loudspeaker that jessica had found her dress... there was clapping and ringing of bells and lots of weeping. :) thx for testing my comments!!! :)

      Delete
  3. So much feeling because of Sentralized, juts to be clear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go to these museums of which you speak! Also, I love this quote. ALSO, I live a couple blocks from the building that was the record store in High Fidelity. I always point it out when friends come to visit me in Chicago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Emily! Love that you live in Chicago... we were Oak Park-ers and have a soft spot for every Chicago movie ever made. :) And I feel very fortunate to live here, where the museums are plentiful, free and everything feels ancient and holy.

      Delete
  5. I'm an introverted extrovert, too. In fact, my Meyer's Briggs almost scores a split between an INFJ and an ENFJ. Weird. Anyway, Quiet is a great book! One of my favorite reads from last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Glad to find someone else who can relate. When I discovered I wasn't really an extrovert, feel like my whole life changed. No wonder I was so exhausted all the time! :) Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  6. I loved reading Quiet! Definitely an eye opener. I am quite sad about not yet being able to get my Downton Abbey fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment? Did you see my link to Rage Againt the Minivan? She can help you out with Downton if you're desperate. :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't completely finished it yet, but Quiet is one of my favorites! Nobody ever believes what a strong introvert I am because I like and am very good with people (hello, past career in politics). I fake extroversion very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so easy to fake, and I had no idea that others were hiding introversion until readindg this... such a relief!

      Delete
  8. I read quiet and I loved it. I have a lot of extraverted qualities, but I'm a secret introvert, too! Glad to be able to follow along your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Quiet! Have you read Introverts in the Church yet? Definitely add it to your queue. 50/50 is so good- though as a former medical social worker, I had a huge problem with the sloppy ethics on display. Love that you were able to Skype while your sister tried on her dress! Technology at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen, I love the piano wall! I am planning on reading Quiet soon. I'm actually wondering if maybe I have been a faux introvert. It is actually a little scary to think this may be true. We will see. Amy

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS