The tables are filled with stories :: at home in Ireland

05 October 2013



On Thursday mornings I attend a creative writing class at the library. The tables are filled with stories; not on paper, but in the hearts and pasts of each person seated at them. Some read their work and some take notes and some tell tales that make the rest of us hoot out loud (HOL).

Like everything else, I'm a writing class slacker, begging Matt to take the children to school so I can fulfill my obligation the morning of. I don't know why I put it off so long, for when I sit there with a half hour to go, looking out our window as golden leaves give up and lower themselves to the green, my hands can't type fast enough and I feel set free.

My words go unread, as of yet, but it doesn't really matter. I arrive and leave with a smile on my face. I hear their words and - at least today - cry at the sound of them. Crazy American girl, they must be thinking, in the kindest of all ways. And we depart together with stories on our lips.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! I am interested in creative writing, but scared I won't be any good. You've inspired me to see if there is a class or group in my area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly won't be good if you DON'T try. And you'll be better with practice. Please try it.

      Delete
    2. Jacey, it was totally not my thing, either, and I thought (still think) I'd be rubbish at it. But really, it's so stretching and fun and the people you meet - priceless! Hope you find one! :)

      Delete
  2. "my hands can't type fast enough and I feel set free."

    This is how it is for me sometimes. Just yesterday, himself was saying, "You always, always, always feel better when you write."

    So, I told myself yesterday I would start writing everyday, And I did today.

    Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the encouragement, cynthia! my husband tells me the same thing. glad they're both right.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS