We did well here :: 31 days of messy parenting {day 19}

19 October 2012

shot_1350618826247.jpg

This lamp made this our home. The first thing we bought when we came back, the first thing I saw that said, "Here is where you can start again, again." We put the $12 lampshade on an old lamp we left behind, black iron and pull cord. We set it on the abandoned end table (my mother collects many abandoned things). Slowly, a home came into view.

The wall shelf was a gift, a Christmas present made of liptus. My favourite type of wood. We couldn't take it with us before, but it waited for us here, and when we returned it was the first thing nailed in. A photo collage, a winter print of the Hundertwasser neighborhood in Vienna, the Attestation of Pilgrimage to Israel (I was 19 and in love for the second time), the five of us framed in Trim. God bless our family, it says. And our Compassion children peeking out from behind school uniforms. There may even be a stone hippo from Kenya. It is cluttered, but our memories are displayed. When I walk in this room, the first thing I see is our life.

I say it's not a house, not our forever home, not where we'll stay. But I look at this picture and I know we did well here. Are doing well here.

Five Minute Friday

Lisa-Jo Baker invites us to write, every Friday, for five minutes. Today her prompt was Look and beyond all the mess, I saw what was beautiful. You should try it, too.

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Five Minute Friday. Thanks for the reminder to look beyond the mess and see what's really important. With a little one myself, all too often the mess is the only thing I see, instead of all the many gifts that made the mess possible. Enjoyed finding your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, and for your commiseration! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, Karen to a fellow expat/missionary kid/sojourner...this makes so much sense. It is funny the things that help ground us to HERE and to HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first time since I was a small kid I feel like this house is becoming something of a home. All but 3 boxes unpacked, things actually up on the walls, a bookcase with books in it, and a place for most things. It's a strange but lovely feeling.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS